Friday, May 15, 2015

Tadka Boom!, Melbourne CBD by Big Fil

Ms Ruby Grapefruit though had heard good things about a newish place that was taking a slightly different take on Indian food, lighter and fresher for that workday lunch.  Four of us went to try Tadka Boom, and four of us were impressed by the quick and tasty options on offer.

Ordering is easy.  The two main options are either the rice bowls or the roti wraps, which have a choice of 5 or so accompanying curries or fillings, with a couple of salads offered too.  I had originally picked out the slow cooked lamb (Kid  Kaboom) as the dish I wanted to try, as I think had Snooze, but we generously allowed Ms Ruby Grapefruit to have first dibs.  Ms Grapefruit was kind enough to provide a portion for tasting and the lamb was delicious and falling apart tender.  The dhal which accompanied all the rice bowls was good enough to eat on its own (and is offered as a vegetarian rice bowl option) and the Takda slaw provided a nice balance for the other ingredients.

Other than the lamb the other dish I was interested in was the chicken curry (Bombay bird), described as a six-spice fiery chicken curry served with the same dhal and salad.  As with the lamb the chicken was very good, tender and tasty although I think fiery was a bit of an overstatement.  Spicy is too often used an a synonym for chill hot, and while there was a touch of heat it was well within the occasionally chilli-phobic Snoozes tolerance level, for me just enough to get the tastebuds staring to tingle.  Ms No Meat and Snooze both offered samples of their choices, the cous cous salad and the grilled chicken tikka, which I can confirm were tasty and enjoyed by both of them.

Couscous salad

If you want you can also ‘Make it a meal’ by ordering the masala chips (sweet potato chips) or the Bombay bites (lentil and herb nuggets with a coriander aioli) along with an accompanying drink.  Ms No Meat went for the Bombay bites which she liked, although for me they were a little dry even with the accompanying aioli.  The thin cut masala chips were yummy – actually anytime I see sweet potato chips on the menu  they are something I just have to order as they are much more flavourful than their paler cousins.



Verdict: We liked it a lot.

Overall
I am not really a fan of eating in the Goldsborough Lane precinct. Previously I wasn’t that impressed with the various offerings, and when breezy I hate the way the whole area turns into a wind tunnel. Couple this with a twenty minute walk from work and I rarely head down that way. But Tadka Boom was worth the trip. Lighter than most Indian style lunches, and available either for takeaway or eating in the small but quite nicely done cafĂ© (I particularly liked the lights).  Reasonably priced and quick, and a good option if you want to grab something on the go. I am not really a fan of eating in the Goldsborough Lane precinct. Previously I was not that impressed with the various offerings, and when breezy I hate the way the whole area turns into a wind tunnel. Couple this with a twenty minute walk from work and I rarely head down that way.

Tadka Boom! on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...