Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bossy Boots, Brighton by Big Fil

Having been away it's been a few weeks since I've had the chance to spend a Saturday morning checking out new cafes with Snooze. When I gave her a list of a few different places in our general vicinity she immediately settled on Bossy Boots. I wonder if she was trying to tell me something? (PS From Snooze ... Not really since that's what my kids call me!)


Anyway, Bossy Boots is exactly the sort of café that should be in Brighton. Full of light, great looking food behind the counter, choice of alfresco, inside or courtyard dining, some of the friendliest staff I've come across. A breath of fresh air compared to the some other cafes I've tried in the area. The menu comprises two sides of the one sheet, one side for breakfast the other for lunch. More limited than most places, this hopefully means that the café can do a good job with a few dishes rather than a mediocre job with a lot. The only dish I really missed on the menu was French toast or pancakes with bacon.


Snooze was running a bit late so I ordered a hot chocolate to start. This was good, with the chocolate flavour nicely balanced and a cute design on top.


When it came to food we both had our eyes on the baked beans with fetta on toast which Snooze ordered. A good sized serving of nicely cooked, firm beans (with at least two different types of beans) with a little bit of saltiness added by the feta. However, I thought the best part of the dish was the bread. Having found out that their bread comes from Dench, methinks a visit up to North Fitzroy may be in order soon.


I went for the scrambled eggs with chives on toast, and a side order of bacon. The eggs were light and fluffy, with the addition of something to give them a smoother texture (maybe a touch of olive oil?). The bacon was spot on, crispy without going hard or dry, and again the same beautiful bread.


Still having space left for a cake it took me several minutes to choose from the variety of homemade cakes behind the counter, eventually settling on a lemon cake. While moist unfortunately it was a bit sweet for me, as I like my lemon cakes more of the tart side.


Overall
Without doubt the best café I've tried in the area. Very good homestyle food, nice setting, great friendly service and reasonable prices for the area. I'd get there early if you wanted to visit though. When I arrived just before nine it was nearly empty, but by ten o'clock it was full inside and out.

Verdict
Food - 8
Service - 8
Setting - 7.5
Price - 6.5

Address
106 Bay Street
Brighton VIC 3186
Tel: (03) 9596 6714

Bossy Boots on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...