Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pie In The Sky, Olinda by Obelix

Pie In The Sky
Why, oh why, oh why?

Apologies for the short and lame attempt at verse but I cannot fathom the big attraction that is Pie In The Sky.  Yes, it is situated on the tourist trail in Mt Dandenongs but surely that alone does not explain why there are throng of tourists queuing up to eat there.  The quality of the pies certainly offers no explanation. Bureaucrat has dined there before and loved it, see post.  So I'm stumped...maybe I went there on a bad day for I found their pies were as bad as my poetry.

I don't want to turn this into a long winded whinge-fest so I'll keep it succinct.  I found their food similar in quality and content to that served in hospital canteens.  I used to work in a hospital where for five bucks, the staff could order the lunch special which resembled a plate of food at Pie In the Sky.

This was their beef burgundy with chips ($11.40) and gravy ($1.50).  Apparently this pie is a "Gold Medal Winner" as per their menu.

I had the tandoori chicken and spinach which is the "Multi Gold Medal Winner' with peas, mash and gravy ($14.90).


It was instant mash potatoes dolloped hospital canteen style and there wasn't much spinach in the pie (see above).


Kiddo had chicken strips from the kid's menu ($9.95) inclusive of free ice cream (see below).


And a shot of outside...



Verdict: we wouldn't return.

Overall:  Pie In The Sky is certainly a popular tourist destination but one could get better pies from the frozen section of the local supermarket.  Most of their pies are proclaimed medal winners but I am unsure who's awarding them.

Pie in the Sky on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...