Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Soda Tree, Montrose by Snooze

On a pleasant Sunday my partner Mr H met up with a couple of pals (including Big Fil) for lunch at The Soda Tree in Montrose in the Dandenongs. I hadn't been there before and since it was only a few minutes walk from Hahndorf's it seemed a perfect opportunity to check it out. (And for those who like op shopping--like me--the owners also run "Atomic Artefacts" which sells collectables, curios and funky vintage clothing from all eras, especially the 50's and 60's.)


The interior is exactly like home from the 1950s. So much so that it reminded me of my friend Debbie from high school's kitchen. (Her family were always so warm and welcoming, her house full of the smells of cooking and Debbie's mum's peppermint crisp slice was the first I ever tried). Maybe that's why I love the nostalgic 1950s kitchen so much ... but I digress.


Sorry ... last digression I promise. The tables were set with the standard plastic fruit and vintage bowls and the menus in golden books. Very cute.


In keeping with the Australiana theme Big Fil went with the pie floater, something you very rarely see on the menu. It was a generous serve that Big Fil managed to finish off and felt satisfied with. It wasn't a great meal or something to have all the time but definitely something to have every now and then.


Mr H couldn't decide what to have and in the end I chose the vegetarian Thai Curry with Jasmine rice. As Mr H and I shared this and my meal, I thought Mr H got the better of the bargain. The curry itself was nice but there was far too much rice in proportion to the vegetables and I would have like more. The bowl the curry (and my bolognaise) was served in was hard to eat from, and Mr H and I ended up putting the food on our plates to eat.


My choice was the beetroot bolognaise in a napolitano sauce served on spaghetti pasta topped with parmesan cheese. Again, this was a generous sized dish and the beetroot was perfect. But there was far too much pasta and not nearly enough sauce so that by the time I got to the middle of the bowl there was no sauce left and I was left with pasta only.


Miss No Meat and another chose the basil peso, semi sun dried tomatoes, roasted eggplant, baby spinach and tasty cheese on Turkish bread. This was enjoyed by both and although they both felt the serve was small they were full.


Overall
Everywhere I looked there was somethig to catch my interest: rooms full of vintage stuff to fossick through, a second world war display in the window, black and white TV playing in the corner, and the owner Anthony to chat. He's an interesting guy who's passionate about what he does, including his pottery collection.

Rating
Food - 6.5
Service - 7
Ambience 8
Price - 7

Address
966-970 Mt Dandenong Tourist Road
Montrose, Victoria 3765
Tel: 03 9728 8840

The Soda Tree on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...