Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Oakleigh Doughnut Co, Oakleigh by Bureaucrat

In addition to trying out a new cake or two, whenever I'm at Nikos Cakes, I always make sure to order my holy trinity of sweet heavenly desserts: galaktoboureko, loukoumada and the cannoli.  However, on my recent visit, I was dismayed to learned there were no loukoumada - it turns out that Nikos Cakes only makes these gorgeously golden, syrup-soaked, chewy doughnuts on the weekend... d'oh! 

The Oakleigh Doughnut Co, Oakleigh
Fresh from the kitchen

Feeling more than a bit bummed out, we left the shop and then spotted The Oakleigh Doughnut Co (TODCO) right across the street.  Looking a bit incongruous among this enclave of old school style shops and cafes, TODCO is all about pink neon lights and brash hipster vibes.  The doughnuts here aren't like how yiayia makes them - they're bigger, loaded with icing, sprinkles and feels very American.  There is a nod to the local Greek community, with a few of the doughnuts paying homage to classic Greek desserts: Bakladough, Mastic & Pistachio, and Galakdough.  

The Oakleigh Doughnut Co, Oakleigh, earl grey tea doughnut
We got two doughnuts to take home with us. The first was the earl grey tea doughnut with toffee shards.  These were a bit underwhelming.  My first impression was that these doughnuts were greasy - really greasy!  It left a shiny, slick layer of grease on my fingers.  Also, the thick buttercream-y icing was just too much.  The grease and the thick icing just made eating this doughnut rather unappetising.  Plus, I couldn't discern any earl grey tea flavour.  While I didn't care much for this doughnut, the Lawyer didn't seem to mind it.

The Oakleigh Doughnut Co, Oakleigh, kaffir lime curd doughnut
Our other doughnut was far more tastier.  It wasn't as greasy and the richness of the doughnut was offset by the rather zingy kaffir lime curd that was on the inside.  The curd was the best bit of the doughnut - it really packed a punch of sharp citrus freshness.  It went well with the fluffy, marshmallowy meringue on top.  

The Oakleigh Doughnut Co, Oakleigh

Verdict

We wouldn't return
We wouldn’t return.
Cheap eats
Cheap eats.

Overall

While the doughnut itself sans the toppings and fillings is quite nice - it has a pleasant, dense, yeasty chewiness - I can't say I care for the combinations of flavours at TODCO.  Also, the doughnuts are quite sweet and I can't help but think of how much of a calorie bomb each doughnut is!  I can appreciate the fact that TODCO is being creative with the flavours but I feel a more restrained approach would do far better for them.  With the time-tested perfection of loukoumada available just across the road, you'll know where to find me when I next have my doughnut craving.

Find it at

The Oakleigh Doughnut Co
36 Portman Street
Oakleigh VIC 3166
Phone: (03) 9569 8172

The Oakleigh Doughnut Co Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...