Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Drugstore Espresso, South Yarra by Rockstar

I’ve walked by the Drugstore Espresso so many times, and noted that it is always filled with attractive looking hipster types - though I think they’d object to being called that. I guess to me it’s pretty cool. I was looking for somewhere central to brunch with the visiting Adelaideans. Plus as they’re also ex-Melbournians I needed somewhere with good coffee for Mr Adelaidean!

I hadn't realised that the place was a bit like the Tardis - bigger on the inside than on the outside! There’s a whole other level upstairs and I easily found us a table.

Drugstore Espresso, South Yarra, breakfast rice paper rolls
Breakfast rice paper rolls

The menu is fascinating, a mix of healthy options and Instagrammable combos like the blueberry and bacon doughnut burger and the slow-cooked duck Benedict with blood plum hollandaise.

Drugstore Espresso, South Yarra, peanut butter smoothie
Mr Adelaidean ordered a couple of coffees, toast and jam, and a peanut butter smoothie which was thick and enjoyed by him!

Drugstore Espresso, South Yarra, avocado toast with red chimichurri
I was tossing up between the avocado toast with red chimichurri, poached egg, goats curd and balsamic beetroot relish on pumpkin sourdough and the duck Benedict. The waiter weighed in stating that the avo was lighter than the Benedict which was a big serve. Having seen other diners tucking into the avo, I’m not sure how big the Benedict must be! I eventually ordered the avo toast minus the egg... and it defeated me! Although I did add a side of bacon, which was completely unnecessary but it has the perfect, melty, fatty, crunchy goodness. The goats curd and beetroot was a lovely hearty combo. I would have loved more of that red chimichurri as it was delicious!

Ms Adelaidean was tempted by the burger and was also interested in the Puetro Rican breakfast bowl but settled for the breakfast rice paper rolls with boiled egg, avo, carrot, cucumber, mango, bean shoots, noodles and a chilli peanut dipping sauce (see first pic). She advised they were a perfect light lunch choice for a Melbourne summer.

Unfortunately the service could have been better - Mr Adelaidean had to ask for his coffees a few times and had to search for a waiter.

Verdict

We liked it
We liked it.
Mid value
Mid value.

Overall

A funky, coffee-fuelled place with lots of interesting brunch choices - whether it’s tasty puritan choices or outrageously rich pickings!

Find it at

Drugstore Espresso
194 Toorak Road
South Yarra VIC 3141
Phone: (03) 9827 5058

Drugstore Espresso Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...