Monday, June 9, 2014

Oriental Spoon, Melbourne CBD by Bureaucrat

I'd describe Oriental Spoon as one of them reliable eats that is reasonably priced and does reasonable (but not earth-shattering) food.  It's a safe bet.  It's near work and it's clean and spacious.  It's a good place where you just want to catch up with friends over a bite.

By memory, I think it's one of the Korean restaurants that have been here before the sudden (and continuing) boom of Korean restaurants all around town.  It offers Korean BBQ dining experience, however, despite coming here a few times, I've never managed to try this.

Without further ado, Mr S ordered a rice dish - I forget what this was called.  But it had a deep fried, crumbed crab claw, which was served with lots of different vegs.  I quite like the cute bowl/pot that it was served in.

I went for the grilled eel (unagi) in a stone bowl w rice.  Three pieces of eel, rather small, but just enough to go with the rice and veggies.  

Verdict
Food – 7
Service – 7
Ambiance – 7
Price – 6.5

Overall
As I said, a fairly safe bet.  Everything is reasonable and I don't have anything against it, but with so many Korean options nowadays, if you're hankering for Korean, there are other places that I'd recommend (including, Seoul Metro, Anju and Warra Warra (review coming soon)).  

Having said all that, Oriental Spoon has been doing well as it has recently opened up a second shop just less than two minutes away on Elizabeth Street.  I had lunch there a few weeks ago and will be posting up my review shortly.

Have a gander of Big Fil's review of Oriental Spoon back in December 2011.

Address
Oriental Spoon
254 LaTrobe Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: (03) 9654 9930

Oriental Spoon on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...