Saturday, June 21, 2014

Nikos Quality Cakes, Oakleigh by Big Fil

Nikos Quality Cakes certainly makes a big impression, with its large store frontage and sidewalk tables.  Walking past the windows checking out the biscuits and cakes a quick decision was made to return after eating something more substantial at Orexi.

While Nikos does offer regular cafe fare it was sugar and custard cravings we were looking to satisfy.  Choosing a table our selection of three was soon on its way – a Monte Carlo type biscuit, a baklava and a custard pastry square the name of which I missed.


First up was the Monte Carlo biscuit.  With a slightly crumbly texture and sweet jam filling, I thought this would make a good accompaniment to a coffee or hot chocolate.  Snooze however was more luke warm about it, and I think thought it could have been more generous with the jam. 


Second sweet to be tried was our baklava.  Snooze and I have different views on baklava.  I am not generally a huge fan, put off I suspect by far too many oversweet versions, where the syrup just dominated everything.  Snooze though is a big fan of this sweet, nutty pastry.  I thought Nikos version was one of the better I have tried, the pastry crispy and not too sweet.


Final cake was a bit of a guilty pleasure.  I love Greek style custard pastries, the smooth cool custard combined with flaky pastry.  The only thing which can kill thee for me is soggy pastry, which was not a problem here.  One thing though (Snooze’s fault) is turning the pastry on the side, to make it easier to cut for sharing, resulted in a shower of icing sugar across the table which was moderately embarrassing.

On the whole I thought Nikos’ cakes were pretty good.  Other aspects of the cafe were a bit of a letdown though.  Service was not particularly friendly, as sighing when we are taking a few seconds to make up our minds on what to order doesn’t leave a good impression.  Secondly, while nice outside the inside is quite generic and nothing to write home about.  I also found it a little more expensive than similar places around town.



Overall
Nice cakes but it’s the other little things which let the side down a bit.

Verdict
Food – 7.5
Service – 6
Ambience – 6.5
Price – 6

Address
25 Portman St
Oakleigh VIC 3166
Tel: (03) 9569 9802

2 comments:

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) said...

I saw the custard pastry on Twitter and was so envious! I love Greek pastries, especially baklava. I'll give Niko's a go if I'm in the area. Thanks for sharing!

Bureaucrat said...

Thanks for stopping by :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...