Saturday, July 30, 2016

Palate, Prahran by Bureaucrat

Channeling my inner cave-woman, I asked Ms G to meet for brunch at Palate on Greville Street.  Reviews of Palate said it was a cafe that's known for its paleo-centric menu (think lots of meat and grains and green stuff).  While I'm not much one for following food fads, I thought I'd give this a shot - at least for one meal.

I was drawn to its create-your-own breakfast/lunch meal, where you can choose five ($19) or seven items ($23) from a list of tempting choices.  The rules are that you can pick one meat dish and the rest must be non-meat dishes (although, if you're feeling particularly carnivorous, for an extra $3.90 you can add more animal protein if you like).

Palate, Prahran, paleo, create your own breakfast
I went for smokey bacon rashers; grilled tomato with basil, sauteed spinach; roast pumpkin; and marinated grilled mushrooms.  It was a rather big serve and I couldn't finish everything.  The bacon was crispy and smokey; and I really liked the pumpkin and spinach.  (The other meat options included: smoked salmon, herbed chicken breast, lamb ragout, chilli garlic prawns and steak; while some of the other non-meat options included: quinoa, beetroot with shallots, citrus-infused sweet potato and macadamia mash, and cauliflower rice).

Palate, Prahran, paleo,  poached eggs and smoked salmon
Ms G chose the Atlantic - which was poached eggs with smoked salmon and hollandaise sauce.

Verdict

We liked it
We liked it.

Overall

The food was fine - the quality was above average and the flavours were good.  However, I couldn't help but feel a bit underwhelmed by it.  Part of this could be that I was expecting something really different since I had it in my mind that a paleo menu would somehow be a much more interesting dining experience.

While I didn't use it for this meal, the 2016-17 Entertainment Book has a dining offer for Palate.  You get a complementary main course when another main course of equal or greater value is purchased.  Click on these links to find out how we're raising money for FareShare by asking our dear readers to buy a copy of the 2016-17 Entertainment Book.

Find it at

Palate
132 Greville Street
Prahran Vic 3181
Phone: 03 9521 5443

Palate Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...