A few moons ago, the Bureaucrat went to the launch of About Life. In a nutshell, About Life is a health and well being supermarket/cafe/concept store. They had sent us a bag of goodies with all the ingredients to make two very delicious and healthy recipes - Chai Spiced Honey Porridge and Green Matcha Quinoa Porridge.
The recipes were very easy to follow and quick to make (because that is a major consideration when one is making breakfast). This is proof in the pud, or rather porridge, that creating a healthy breakfast need not to be an onerous task. The recipes are below courtesy of About Life. Hope you feel inspired to give it a whirl. We would love to see your creations on Instagram, please tag @aboutlifenm and @eatandbemerrycrew of your porridgey-goodness.
Green Matcha Quinoa Porridge also lovingly made by my very hands.
Chai Spiced Honey Porridge
This porridge is packed with immune boosting ingredients that will set you up perfectly for the day ahead. The nutritious combination of chai's aromatic herbs and spices, ginger, cinnamon and orange will boost your metabolism during the cooler months.
2 cups plain oats
2 cups water
1 tbs shredded ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 star anise
zest of half orange
2 tbs raw honey
- Place oats into a pot with water and cook on medium heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and cook for another 3 mins.
- Add orange juice and zest, then heat for another 2 mins.
- Divide into 2 bowls and sprinkle with nuts, fruit and yoghurt (optional) and drizzle with honey.
Matcha is a fine green tea powder with so many benefits. With anti-inflammatory properties, matcha is slow releasing, so it won't give you the caffeine high that coffee does, but instead keeps you going for much longer. In addition, it has anti-ageing properties, helps with memory and concentration and increases energy and endurance.
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup coconut milk
half cup water
1 tsp matcha powder
1 banana, sliced
half cup coconut chips
2 tbs honey
- Place quinoa, coconut milk and water into a pot on medium heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the matcha powder mix and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Place into serving bowls.
- Add sliced banana on top.
- Sprinkle with coconut chips and honey.
Find it atAbout Life
120 Bay Street
Port Melbourne Vic 3207
Opening hours: 7am–8pm every day (café hours: 7am-3pm)