Sunday, February 2, 2014

Golden Ocean, Mt Waverley by Bureaucrat

During a recent weekend, I found myself alone at home with my hungry tummy.  There was nothing to cook in the fridge, nothing to reheat and, in any case, I was too lazy to cook.  As it was a Sunday night, I couldn't get my feed from my go-to local takeaway (Danny's Kopitiam is closed on Sunday nights), and I certainly couldn't be bothered trying to head into the Kingsway area in Glen Waverley.

I took this opportunity to go see what is on offer in Mt Waverley village, a nearby shopping area.  Despite going to high school around the village, I don't really know what is on offer in terms of food.  Back then, as a school kid, all I cared about was getting cheese and bacon rolls from Brumby's, hot chicken and chips or a tub of mayo-drenched pasta salad from the charcoal chicken shop.

However, a restaurant that definitely wasn't there all those years ago is Golden Ocean.  I know nothing of this place but it seemed like a good place to get some takeaway.  Inside, it's decorated in that typical suburban Chinese restaurant style - the peach coloured walls, them oval-backed chairs and a tank or two of live fish, and a BBQ takeaway counter at the front.

It has that un-fussy but homely vibe that I like in a place.  There were a couple of tables having dinner, including a few tables with parents trying to get their young 'uns to eat their dinners, and Golden Ocean was doing a steady stream of takeaway orders.

For my dins, I wanted to treat myself to something a bit unhealthy - one of the specials, the spicy chicken ribs.  I got a side of rice to go with it.  When I took it out, I was most excited with the box of salty, chickeny yumminess - there's no better vision than of a takeaway box that's so stuffed with food that the lid cannot be properly sealed.

These were definitely one of the better chicken ribs that I've ever had!  A light, golden, crispy batter (with all them little crunchy bits), piping hot, and lots of meat on the ribs.  The chicken was succulent and juicy... and even better, there were lots of it!  The bottom of the box only had a little bed of fried vermicelli, so it meant there was more room for more chicken, which is a good thing in my book.  

Luckily for me, it wasn't very spicy - about the same spice/heat level of your typical salt and pepper fried dish.  Pleasingly, the ribs weren't too oily despite being deep fried.  And I don't care if you judge me, but it was so yummy that I ate the whole box in one sitting  :)  However, I didn't finish all the rice.... hehe.

Price
Food - 7.5
Ambiance - 7
Service - 7.5
Price - 7

Overall
A lovely treat for this bureaucrat!  It turned out to be one of those delectable meals where you can just enjoy all the food for yourself, without having it to share it with anyone else.  I'd definitely would go back there again to try out more of their dishes.  Service was prompt and the good was great.  It's good to know that I have Golden Ocean as one of my local Chinese takeaway places.

Address
Golden Ocean
7 Hamilton Place 
Mount Waverley 3149
Telephone: 9807 0555

Golden Ocean BBQ Chinese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...