Saturday, January 5, 2013

Enuf Burger Bar, North Glenelg (SA) by Big Fil

There are a few burger joints in Adelaide embracing the idea of the new school burger.  These rely on higher quality (or at least fancier named) ingredients, served in more a diner style environment than a traditional hamburger bar or fish and chip shop.  All you need to do then is give your burger a fancy name and there you have it, a new school burger designed to appeal to those who want something just that little bit 'special'.  I've got nothing against new school burgers in principle but they aren't really my style.  Just give me a homemade beef patty, a nicely toasted hamburger bun, caramelised onion rings and some nice crispy bacon cooked on the grill by someone who has been making great burgers for the last twenty years and I will enter my happy place.


Having said all that I did enjoy my burgers at Enuf Burger Bar.  They were a decent size, the patties were moist rather than overdone like you often get and the flavours were good.  It's a comfortable place to sit and eat and I absolutely loved watching MTV on the TV playing all these songs from the late 70's and early 80's, music that I grew up on.  Punk, New Romantics, even some early Madonna.


In what is becoming more and more the trend the burgers all had 'fancy' names.  My Gerhard came with bacon, camembert cheese, bbq sauce, onion, and mayonnaise.  The flavour was sweet rather than the smoky grill hei that you get on an old hamburger bar style burger, but everything was well cooked and I love the creamy richness that using camembert or bree as the cheese rather than cheddar gives to a burger.  If I was going to change anything it would have been to remove some of the lettuce, which I ended up having to do before eating the burger.


The other burger which I tried was the Enuf burger, with a beef patty, onion, relish, bacon, egg, lettuce, tomato and aioli rather than mayonnaise, just to make it a little fancier.  The best things about the burger were the nicely done lightly fried egg, leaving the yolk just ever so slightly runny when bitten into, and the crisp bacon slices.   On the other hand the bun was a bit over toasted, leaving some black char marks on one corner.  According to Enuf's list of most commonly ordered burgers the Enuf burger was the more popular of the two but if I returned the Gerhard would be my burger of choice.


Of course you can't have a burger without chips and the chips here are pretty good.  With a nice crisp snap but still fluffy interior, they were at least a match for the burgers.


Overall
Good hamburgers, clean, pleasant enough if not overly friendly staff and prices comparable to other similar style places around town.  For me a place easy to like but hard to love, all the elements are there but it just doesn't have the individual personality that I love with my street-style food.

Verdict
Food - 7.5
Ambience - 6.5
Service - 7
Price - 6.5

Address
563 Anzac Highway
North Glenelg SA 5045

Enuf Burger Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...