Monday, October 31, 2011

Cacao Green, Melbourne CBD by Big Fil

I've been eating frozen yoghurt at Cacao Green for a while now but had never really thought about writing a blog post about it. But with summer coming up it was probably now or never, time to stop being lazy and explain what I like and what I don't like about this frozen yoghurt store.


The first thing I like is that it's frozen yoghurt, not ice-cream or gelatti. While I love a really smooth, creamy ice-cream sometimes you don't want something so diary heavy. Particularly when it's hot something lighter and refreshing can be in order. To me the use of yoghurt makes it still creamy but a bit less sweet and more suited to a Melbourne summer, particularly with the slightly tangy aftertaste that it leaves in your mouth.

Secondly I like the toppings you can sprinkle over the top to add some additional flavour and texture. There are usually a dozen or so to choose between but I always head for my old reliable favourites, almond slivers, walnuts, and honey macadamias. If you had a healthier outlook I think there are normally a few fruit varieties available, although I have never tried them.


Thirdly, for a frozen dessert eatery sitting outside at the footpath tables is a surprisingly nice place to sit and eat. There are a few trees for shade and the passing foot traffic adds a bit of life to the scene. Much better than the normal white, fairly sterile environment that some other places have.


But despite three big pluses I still only visit here irregularly. Why? Two interrelated reasons. First of all, they feel a bit stingy with the serves. When you first see your yoghurt in the cup it looks enormous, piled high and heading for the sky. It's pretty misleading though as there is always a hollow centre in the middle.

Secondly, the price. Regular Italian original with two toppings - $8.70! I mean its good, but there are other places I can head for good ice-cream that are at least a couple of dollars cheaper than that, and I don't consider them cheap either.

Overall
I do like it here. It tastes good, its light and healthy tasting and it’s a nice place to sit and eat. It is the sort of place I'd probably head for lunch once or twice a week during summer if it was a bit cheaper. But while the quality is undoubtedly good, the price puts it in the every now and again category

Verdict
Food - 7.5
Service - 7
Ambience - 7.5
Price - 5.5

Address
285 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel (03) 9654 9674

Cacao Green on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...