Saturday, June 25, 2011

Huff Bagelry, Carnegie by Big Fil

I can't say why I had never made it to Huff before. It's nearby, its reputation is good, it does brekkie (almost a necessity given the times I like to eat out). But for some reason I'd never made it, preferring to hit Glicks or Aviv to get my bagel fix. However, after a recommendation from a work colleague recently visiting from London it was time to fill in this hole in my local eatery experiences.

On a dull winter's morning Huff stands out like a bit of a lighthouse. It's brightly lit, with a large front window and a warm, brown wooden frontage.


Step inside and it's equally as pleasant. Warm colours, interesting light fittings, well spaced and uncluttered. With a series of small tables along one wall, a larger communal table up the back near the kitchen, it's a spacious and family friendly environment. One small issue though - the actual tables are quite high and make it slightly uncomfortable trying to read and eat breakfast.


As you'd expect in a place called Huff Bagelry, here its mainly about the bagels. You can pick your preferred style and bagel and filling, or alternatively just go for a toasted bagel and spread. My favourite was the plain toasted bagel with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Good bagel, nice fluffy scrambled eggs and quality salmon. Nicely presented and delicious, but at $14 not cheap.


Fine but nothing earth-shattering wewas re the autumn brekkie - a bagel with ham, egg, cheese and beetroot relish - and the toasted choc chip bagel. While the autumn brekkie looked nice and was filling there was nothing special about it that would drive me to order it again.


I did however quite like my toasted choc chip bagel. It seemed a little lighter than a Glicks or Aviv bagel and when smothered with butter it was rich warm chocolately goodness on a plate.


Overall
Nice enough as a local neighbourhood bakery, I still think I prefer Glicks and Aviv. Huff is located a lot closer to home though and still does a fine bagel, as well as being a nice place to eat. It also does a mean creamy hot chocolate, probably the best I've had in the area. So I can see a few return visits in the future.

Verdict
Food - 7
Service - 7
Ambience - 8
Price - 6

Address
112 Koornang Road
Carnegie VIC 3163
Tel: (03) 9568 3866

Huff Bagelry on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...