Monday, June 6, 2011

Akakiko, Vienna by Bureaucrat

One of the things that I like about travelling is the opportunity to try new foods. However, at the same time, one of the things that I don't like about travelling is that I miss eating my 'own' food (ie, home cooked food).

In particular, I miss having my big bowl of rice to go with my meal. So it's almost inevitable that every time that we travel that we end up eating somewhere that serves Asian foods.


This time, we ended up at Akakiko, a Japanese chain restuarant, which has a rather androgenous-looking (and creepy) person as its logo. Inside, Akakiko is spacious, bright and decorated in light green.


For drinks, I opted the for the ginger and lemongrass tea, which came in a very big teapot that would have been enough to serve 2-3 people. The Lawyer went for a relatively over-priced green tea drink.


For mains, I went for the salmon bento box. Three generous pieces of shallow-fried salmon to go with a nice mound of rice. I quite liked the lightly pickled beanshoot side - clean and refreshing. I wasn't so keen on the pseudo-kim chee...it looked like kim chee, but was heavily seasoned with smoky paprika, which gave it a rather odd taste.


The Lawyer went for the seafood ramen, which came with a bowl of miso soup.


The ramen was kinda average - average ramen, frozen marinara mix. On the plus side, there was a good mix of fresh veg and it was quite a big serve.

Overall
Akakiko describes itself as 'easy Japanese dining', which I'd say is accurate. I'm not sure how popular Japanese (or Asian) cuisine is in Vienna, but Akakiko is a safe, no-brainer - especially if you need a break from the hearty, meat-based European cuisine.

Address
Akakiko
Singerstrasse 4
1010 Vienna, Austria
Telephone: 057 333140

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...