Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hero Subs, Melbourne CBD by Big Fil

The full size Hero Sandwiches are certainly heroic in size, long and generous with the fillings, but flavour wise are they fit for a hero?  I wasn’t quite convinced, and I know Snooze was a little disappointed, still we seem to be a bit in the minority here.



Located in a side street just across from Wonder Bao, there’s not much room to eat in the shop itself.  However, I do like the outside seating amongst the giant apartment buildings.  Hero is supposed to be providing an urban style of sandwich (Brooklyn inspired as I understand it) and it seems somehow appropriate to be eating it in such an urban environment.



There are 8 different varieties of sandwiches available, plus a few other assorted goodies such as filled pockets, shoestring fries, onion rings and hot ball donuts.  The Kidroyale comes with slow roasted beef, honey Dijon mustard and crispy onion rings, with the choice of white or (I think) whole grain rolls.  Best part of this to me was the onion rings, which added some good texture to the sandwich, closely followed by the tender beef.  Overall though it just didn’t have the delicious smoky flavours that I was hoping for.



There’s also an option for a half sized sandwich with fries.  The fries are actually pretty good sprinkled with their seasoning, and combined with a half sandwich make a filling lunch.  My Throwback though was a little disappointing, particularly the meatballs which I found quite flavourless.



Overall
Fast and filling and close to work, I thought the offerings were amongst the biggest without being amongst the best sandwiches in the city.  Passable without being great, somewhere I might return every now and again but not my first choice for a great sandwich in the city.

Verdict
Food – 6.5
Ambience – 7.5
Service – 7
Price – 6.5

Address
1 Stewart Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: (03) 9995 4655

Hero Subs on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...