Monday, September 30, 2013

Straits Kitchen, Mount Waverley by Bureaucrat

As part of my plans to try out a few more places within the Pinewood shopping area in Mt Waverley, I picked Straits Kitchen for a takeaway lunch one day.


Having googled the place, I had high hopes. It looked good and the reviews were quite positive.  SK is one of the newer places in the Pinewood area - it's been open for about a year or so. Inside, it's been refurbished - it's clean, spacious and the furniture is smart and new.  It looked so promising that I thought, if my takeaway lunch was good, I'd bring my family back for dinner.  I was hoping that SK would become one of our favourite places to eat in the local area.

A friendly waitress took my order of chicken nasi lemak.  On the car ride home, the aromatic scent filled my car.


First impression of the food, was that it looked good.  So far, so good.  The chicken was flavoursome, although it was  a wee spicy for me (but I'm a chilli wimp).  Everything else was good to - crispy ikan bilis and peanuts, the softly moreish onion sambal and the nicely sour veggie achar.  However,the good impression didn't last for long.  There was MSG.  Lots of it.  So much so that I only ate half of the nasi lemak (and chucked the rest away) and I promptly got a migraine from it and was nauseous.

I just do not understand why people need to use MSG.  If your food is good you don't need to use MSG.  If your food isn't good, then improve upon it - but don't resort to using MSG.

Verdict
Food - 5
Ambience - 7.5
Service - 7
Price - 7

Overall
I'm kinda disappointed that SK isn't as good as I had hoped.  It's clean, smart, reasonably priced, above average quality, and friendly service and in my local area.  However, I can't get beyond the fact that they use so much MSG.  It's a real shame because I really do want to try out more of their dishes, but I'm scared to do so because I'm afraid of risking another migraine attack.

Oh well...

Address
Straits Kitchen
51 Centreway, Pinewood Shopping Centre
Mt Waverley 3149
Telephone: 9803 4355

Straits Kitchen on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're mistaken. MSG enhances the flavour of the dish, similar to the way salt is used in most dishes. Without MSG, traditional Asian food (not westernised versions, aka Golden Fields) is BLAND!! Though, there can be too much MSG, which leaves you wanting to drink a gallon of water 2 hours after the meal. Seems like you probably allergic to MSG.

RMIT Newintstudents said...

we don't like MSG all that much. most asians don't really.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...