Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Burek Lounge, Woodville South (SA) by Big Fil

Hmm, it’s called Burek Lounge, but on my two visits I never tried the burek’s there.  On my first visit I tried the mixed grill, which was reasonable.  They also offer cabbage rolls and other assorted options, although they will need to wait for another day.  This visit was all about three magic words, spit roasted lamb.



When you step inside Burek Lounge it is clean and bright if somewhat utilitarian.  Prices are displayed on the back wall, assorted sweets under the front counter, the sort of set up you’ll typically see around town.  If it hadn’t been for the fact that I was somewhat taken aback by notion of someone selling burek in Woodville I would probably have just walked on past, without a second glance.



When I did enter I was most pleased to see that every Saturday spit roasted lamb is on offer from 1pm.  Or at least that’s what the sign says, turning up at 1.30 meant that they were almost sold out.  I think that they just don’t serve it to sit down customers but you may be able to buy meat by weight.  Don’t quote me on that though, as it’s something I should probably have asked about.

Unfortunately my late arrival meant I was unable to see or photograph the lamb in all its glory, with all that was left a few gently smoking coals at the back.  After some consultation with serving staff they were able to confirm that there was some lamb left (phew).  The cous cous salad that I really wanted to try wasn’t available (on either visit), so to complement the lamb I also ordered some bread and potato salad.

The bread is warm, fluffy and filling, the potato salad nicely prepared and quite creamy.  But the most important part of the meal was of course the lamb.


  
The lamb was moist, tender and a little fatty, just like good lamb should be.   Slowly cooked over the spit ensures that the meat retains its essentially juices, and the meat just falls away from the bones.  The skin was nicely crisp from the spit roasting, and the only complaint is that like Oliver I wanted more!



Overall
I am a real sucker for spit roasted anything, and it was a surprise coming across somewhere which does a roast lamb every week particularly in such a suburban location.  Given that it’s only a 15 minute drive from home I suspect I’ll be bringing Hungry Pete here for a try as well. 

Verdict
Food – 8
Service – 6.5
Ambience - 6.5
Price – 7

Address
69 Findon Road
Woodville South SA 5011
Tel: 0482 252 254

Burek Lounge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...