Thursday, September 14, 2017

Dumpling King, Box Hill by Obelix

My friend G recently took her family to Dumpling King for Father's Day.  She reported it was "all round good dumplings"  so with such a commendation, I had to check it out.

 Dumpling King, Box Hill, Shandong chicken
The vampire-slaying Shandong chicken

Being a hectic mid week night which rendered me pooped in my pjs, I sent P out for takeaway.

Dumpling King, Box Hill, pan fried pork cabbage dumplings
On the agenda, of course was the said "all round good dumplings".  We ordered the pork and cabbage ones, pan fried.  I would agree it was well executed with the filling moist and gingery and wrapper thin and light.

We also ordered the Shan Dong chicken (see first pic).  I was fascinated by this.  It was a fried chook drenched with an intensely garlicky sauce  and garnished with specks of raw garlic.  It was vampire slaying.  Whilst I loved the flavours, it was too much of a good thing for me.  I laid awake for half the night regurgitating garlic.  Okay, TMI....

Dumpling King, Box Hill, lemon chicken
Then came the lemon chicken to cater for Kiddo.  As lemon chickens go, it was rather a disappointing one.  The batter was thick and oily.

Dumpling King, Box Hill, fried rice
Couldn't fault the fried rice.  But couldn't rave about it either.

Dumpling King, Box Hill, stir fried veggies
The stir fried veggies with garlic were okay.

Dumpling King, Box Hill, spring onion cakes
As a little snack, we ordered spring onion cakes.  Kiddo normally loves these  but she took a few bites and declared it bit too greasy for her.  So we threw the rest out.

Dumpling King, Box Hill, vegetarian buns

Dumpling King, Box Hill, vegetarian buns
For P and I, we had a little snack of their vegetarian bun.  It was a bit bland although I should have known that a vegetarian bun would be bland by nature.  It was filled with Chinese greens and not much else.

Verdict

We wouldn't return
We wouldn’t return.
Mid value
Mid value.

Overall

Apart from the dumplings, Dumpling King was a miss for us.

Find it at

Dumpling King
572 Station Street
Box Hill Vic 3128
Phone: 9890 3719

Dumpling King Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a while since I've been, but I wasn't a huge fan either.

Anon-e-Fil

EatAndBeMerryCrew said...

Anon-e-Fil, yes, especially in Box Hill where there are plenty of better choices

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the heads up, I haven't been back since the "renovation" ( box hill code for "health inspectors visited"). It used to be passable, but they've changed the menu

Nean said...

My bad, that was dumpling kingdom I was referring to. But dumpling king has been awhile too, as their dumplings lacked flavour for me. Try Bliss in Box Hill Central. Their veg pancakes and dumplings have flavour (msg, I'm not sure)

EatAndBeMerryCrew said...

Lol! I love your comment re "renovation". so astute. 😄

EatAndBeMerryCrew said...

Ooo, I've yet to try Bliss. Will give it a whirl. So far, the only pork dumplings imo worth mentioning in suburbia is the pork & prawn ones at ramen noodle dumpling house. Menu item number A2. 😬

Anonymous said...

For suburban dumplings, I did like Ping's in Clayton but haven't been for a few years.

I also liked Eastern Dumpling House, although they seem to be a little inconsistent, sometimes as good as anywhere in Melbourne, sometimes mediocre.

Anon-e-Fil

EatAndBeMerryCrew said...

I've heard great things re Pings. Thanks for the advice 😋

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...