Sunday, January 1, 2017

Recipe for Canneles Bordelais, by Obelix

We recently posted this delectable picture on our Instagram with the hash tag #homemade and I was besieged with private messages for the recipe.  Canneles Bordelais for the uninitiated is a sublime custardy batter baked into crusty perfection on the outer with the innards delightfully tender.  I would like to think that if you were to cut me cross-sectionally at my fattest part (ie across my lower abdomen) you too would also get a tender wibble wobble innard much like my beloved canneles. I've eaten so many of these wee little cylinders of bliss that my body shape has also morphed over time to be rather cylindrical too!

canneles recipe
Fresh from the oven!

I had to sheepishly confess that whilst yes, these canneles were baked in my own home, hence I could cheekily and technically call it #homemade, I was not the person making it.  It was my sister in law, baker extraordinaire...MC.

MC was generous enough to make it in my own home again (#homemade!) and has kindly offered her recipe to be published below.  

Ingredients:
  • 500ml milk
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • half vanilla pod
  • 1 tablespoon of rum
  • 100g of plain flour
  • 125g of caster sugar
  • 50g of butter

Method:
1.  Boil the milk, vanilla and butter.

2. In the meantime, mix the flour, sugar, salt and lightly beaten eggs in one go and then mix with the boiled mixture.

3. Mix slowly so that you get a fluid batter and add the rum.

4. Refrigerate for a couple of hours or preferably overnight.

5. Preheat a fan forced oven to 260C.


6.  Pour the mixture three quarters full into the canneles moulds.

7.  Bake for 18 minutes at 260C then decrease the temperature to 160C and bake for a further 25 minutes.

canneles on cooling rack
8.  Remove from the oven and tip the canneles out onto a cooling rack whilst still hot. 

yummy canneles
It's the tender wibble wobble innards that would have you hankering for more.  I can easily down a dozen of these in one sitting.  What's your cannele-eating personal best?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...