Thursday, November 13, 2014

N Lee Bakery Cafe, Melbourne CBD by Obelix

I have found THE Vietnamese baguette place.  I generally chow down on a Vietnamese roll with a few misgivings.  First it's the white bread.  I've had it drummed into my head that white bread = no no.  Then it's the oh-so-yummy fatty bits of pork within.  One look at the strata of fat on the slices of pork makes me mentally calculate how many minutes I have to jog to negate that.


BUT, at N Lee Bakery, you can proverbially have your cake and eat it too.  First, you can customise your bread roll.  There are multi grain and wholemeal options.  Then, if you are feeling virtuous, you can opt for chicken breast instead of pork or meatballs.  The salad options are traditional Vietnamese (cucumber, carrot, coriander, chilli and liver pate instead of butter) or you can customise your own with the standard salad items such as avocado, lettuce, tomato, etc.  Let me tell you, it has got to be one of the yummiest rolls I have eaten.  The crunch of the fresh baguette, the mellowness of the pate, the hint of coriander and hoi sin sauce, the freshness of the salad.


I rationalised that since I bypass the fatty pork and went with the lean chicken breast filling, I can have a spring roll to chase down the baguette.  N Lee Bakery's spring rolls are filled with cabbage and pork.  Very moreish as is anything deep fried.  I could easily eat a dozen or so.

Verdict - we loved it.

Overall
I love this place! N L Bakery bake their own bread and it is usually ready by 11.45am.  So don't start queuing (yes there are queues cos it's good) before then.

N.Lee Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...