Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grigons & Orr Corner Store, North Melbourne by Snooze

It's hard to know where to start with Grigons & Orr Corner Store. The exterior is what must have once been a corner store.

Inside it's a mock up of a corner store that might once have existed (but probably never did).

Don't think that detracts from Grigons and Orr ... because if it were about nothing else it would be all about the atmosphere. Like a 50s kitchen it has a down to earth, comfy feel ... and you can always grab a few essentials like free range eggs and milk and tea if you're running short.

But it's not just about the atmosphere because the food is equally as good.

Tea served the old fashioned way in a teapot, strainer and delicate china. (And I was the only person there with no tea cosy ... what was with that?)

Old fashioned milk shakes in a metal 'glass' like when I was a kid.

And breakfast all day ... I do love a place that serves breakfast all day!

Big Fil went with the couscous porridge with coconut cream, goji berries, toasted almonds, shaved coconut and honey. I was lucky enough to get a taste and no kidding ... this tasted like cake. It was light, warm, aromatic and slipped down delightfully.

My choice was the Prosciutto Eggs, with two poached eggs on toasted corn bread, oven dried tomato and spinach. (It normally comes with roast capsicum ... which I don't like and asked to be left out.) Not Big Fil's cup of tea (no pun intended!) but definitely mine.

There are only three things I like salt on: eggs, potato and lentils. The saltiness of the prosciutto added the salt, the eggs were still runny and with that tiny whiff of vinegar from the poaching, the spinach was slightly wilted, and the tomatoes were soft but held their shape. Everything was exactly as I like it.

Overall
If I was eating breakfast I'd consider the prices high but for lunch it represents good value for money. I've also read the service wasn't good but that wasn't the case for us (or my daughter Miss C who's also been there). I found the service to be friendly and helpful, and we got our meal quickly. Miss C also told me the menu is gluten free and suitable for coeliacs (she ate there with a coeliac colleague).

Verdict
Ambience - 9
Service - 7
Food - 8
Price - 7

Address
445 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Ph: (03) 9663 5192

Grigons & Orr on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...