Friday, November 10, 2017

Miznon Melbourne, Melbourne CBD by Rockstar

I'd read the raving reviews and seen the social media hype, but wasn't quite sure what to expect from Miznon Melbourne when I convinced the Cultured Couple to have lunch with me there before we headed to the National Gallery of Victoria. I knew that this was the sixth Miznon worldwide after the original one in Tel Aviv. I knew that here in Melbourne they've partnered with a local middle eastern restaurant to make their pita bread that's the star of their street food; a great example of a multi faith collaboration. 

Miznon Melbourne, Melbourne, calamari pita, ocean trout pita
Calamari pita and ocean trout pita

It's a funky two storey place in busy Hardware Lane - unlike others in the street there's no spruiking for business. I entered and knew I'd arrived as all I could smell was their famed cauliflower - not great considering half of the Cultured Couple and I aren't cauliflower fans - a rarity in this world I think! I quickly forgot the smell in amidst the slightly chaotic but fabulously fun energy. The staff are just fantastic and we were offered free strawberry drink and samples of the fillings that were currently cooking. Sitting downstairs with a view of the kitchen and the staff is like the prime seat at the theatre!

We sampled the fresh pita available in the sideboard and added the tahini and chilli oil - I think the chilli oil is one of my new favourite things.

Miznon Melbourne, Melbourne, sage and lemon mocktail
The Cultured Couple enjoyed their non alcoholic cocktail with sage and lemon, which got two thumbs up from them.

Miznon Melbourne, Melbourne, prawn pita
But those pitas, served in brown paper bags, which guaranteed messy appreciation, were just perfection. I ordered the prawn special - prawns, sour cream, green and red onions, cucumber and chilli… and extra added chilli oil. It tasted like that summer day - the one with blue skies and sunshine and freedom and joy. Sounds extreme… But it just made me happy eating it. I savoured every single bite.

Miznon Melbourne, Melbourne, prawn pita, Tunisian pita
The other half of the Cultured Couple tried the Tunisian pita with tuna, chili, potato, red and green onions and pickles (shown above along with a prawn pita) - she seemed just as enamoured - none of us were offering to share!

Miznon Melbourne, Melbourne
Spot the cauliflower!

A week later I made the work lunch trek and we both got the ocean trout belly with avocado green diamonds and sour cream (see first pic)... of course I added the chilli oil. Another delicious combo... Which I had again a few weeks later. It's probably good that it's not closer to work or I'd be tempted to go even more regularly. I have a wish list of things to try including the ‘white’ - cauliflower and tahini. Because if anyone can make me like cauliflower I think a Miznon can! And that's a big call!!!

Miznon Melbourne, Melbourne

Verdict

We loved it
We loved it.
Mid value
Mid value.

Overall

Simple perfection. Perfect pitas. Just go. Now.

Find it at

Miznon Melbourne
59 Hardware Lane
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: (03) 9670 2861

Miznon Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...