Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mr Burger, Melbourne CBD by Snooze

Despite being brought up eating fish and chips and hamburgers regularly (who could escape them if you grew up in Australia during the 1960s?), neither form part of my "go tos" when I'm looking for fast food. Fortunately for me they're a favourite with Big Fil and I don't miss out on the many good places for these foods Melbourne has to offer.

The latest burger choice for Big Fil and I was the newish burger food truck, the chain Mr Burger. It's based on the simple concept of three burgers, two meat and one vegetarian offered from various locations around Melbourne. Our venue was the food truck at the Victoria Market, a more or less permanent fixture in a laneway in Therry Street, across the road from the entrance to the Victoria Market delis.

The van at the market is located in an old warehouse. The walls are tacked around with board to the ceiling and with a couple of shared benches and tables for those who want to sit. We opted to stay and eat.


Mr Burger offers a choice of three burgers served on brioche buns and chips: two meat and one vegetarian. It wouldn't shock the world when Big Fil chose a meat burger or me the vegetarian.  Big Fil's burger was the Mr Meat: beef pattie, cheese, lettuce, bacon, caramelised onions, pickle, BBQ sauce and mayonnaise. Big Fil enjoyed his burger and saw it as amongst the better burgers around Melbourne CBD. It was big and messy, with a slightly creamy texture (courtesy of the mayonnaise and cheese?), and all that missing was the smoky flavour of a top class burger.


On top of the burger, Big Fil went for a serve of chips, which I helped to finish. I’m friendly that way!


The vegetarian base was a falafel pattie with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mustard, mayonnaise and tomato sauce. I think I liked my burger more than Big Fil his, based on the falafel pattie. I think it's the best pattie I've had and definitely worth going back for.





Overall
The Mr Burger burger van is amongst the new breed of hamburgers with its brioche buns and unfamiliar contents (mayonnaise?). But it has so many things going for it I like them: the burgers are messy and big and hearty, but easy to eat at the same time. And they felt healthier than the generally greasier offerings from my childhood. And not to mention pretty decent chips too.

Verdict
Food - 7.5
Ambience - 7
Service - 7
Price - 7.5

Address
93 Therry Street
Down the landway, opposite Vic Market Deli
Melbourne VIC 3000
Mr Burger on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...