Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pulse, Pyrmont by Bureaucrat

During a recent trip to Siddeny for work, Mr C took Ms C and I to lunch at Pulse.


Pulse is an upmarketish feel-good hamburger/salad/fresh juice/soup sort of place. Both Ms C and I felt that Pulse was akin to the Grill'd burger chain in Melbourne.

What I liked about Pulse is that in addition to gourmet-ish hamburgers (with gluten-free bun options), they have the aforementioned salads, fresh juice and soups on offer.


For her lunch, Ms C went for the Middle Eastern inspired baked salmon and pearl barley salad. It came with toasted shards of pitta bread and had a tangy dressing. I didn't try the salad, but I'm guessing the tangyness came from a sumac dressing. Ms C quite liked her salad and said it was a very generous serve.


Mr C went for the spicy beef burger, which came with an organic beef patty, tomato, beetroot, lettuce, aioli, spicy capsicum relish and coriander pesto. It got a bit messy for Mr C as he attempted to eat the hamburger with his hands. In his view, Mr C felt that a good hamburger shouldn't be a messy exercise. I, however, would disagree. For me, a sign of a good hamburger is that it has so much filling that it spills out of the burger and leaves you licking your fingers.


I went for the basic organic beef burger on a gluten-free bun. As Mr C has family members who are gluten intolerant, he was interested to know how the burger tasted. My verdict is that this GF bun was as GF as you can get. That is, it's slightly dense, crumbly and leaves you feeling virtuous in eating it. In my quest for GF alternatives, I've come across GF breads, cakes and pastries that are so light in texture that you wonder how they made it without using refined wheat and sugar. The GF buns at Pulse lie in the other direction. Still, having said that, it was still a tasty burger, and I liked the fact that the burgers come with a side salad.


To go with my meal, I got a fruit juice made up of mango, pineapple, lime, orange and passionfruit. A very tasty concoction and a rather generous serve, too.

Verdict
Food - 8
Ambience - 7
Service - 7
Price - 8

Overall
Love the food and the range on offer. Thumbs up for the GF alternatives. As with Grill'd, if they decide to open this chain up in Melbourne, I'd systematically eat my way through the menu.

Address
Pulse
Shop T05
The Atrium
60 Union Street
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Telephone: (02) 9518 9422

Pulse on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...