Monday, February 24, 2014

Top of the Bay, Williamstown by Bureaucrat

In the lead up to Christmas, almost every meal is planned.  Whether I'm cooking at home or eating out, alot (much, much, more) of my time is spent planning menus, studying menus, buying groceries and navigating that thin line between eating properly and having an extra creamy, fatty, crunchy and/or sugary treat because it's Christmas.

Williamstown pier

So once the 25th day has passed, I'm left in this foodie stupor.  The fridge is bare after being crammed with food and drinks, the pantry is empty, I've definitely spent too much money eating out and I definitely need to get back to the gym.  

The next big meal isn't until NYE/NYD.  So what to do in the intervening days?  Take a day trip is my answer.  Without any planning, we got into our car and headed towards Williamstown.  I don't know much about the area except that we had seafood there over 10 years ago.  I've always been meaning to go back and wander the main streets and check out the views but have never managed to get there.

As we were still feeling full from all the xmas meals, we just wanted a light lunch to tide us over to dinner time.  We stumbled across a fish and chippery - Top of the Bay.

It was one of the few places that were open over xmas time.  And it had a steady stream of locals getting their tucker.  I tend not to go to F&Cs much because it's not exactly the healthiest meal, plus, too many places use frozen fish and have a thick, greasy batter on the fish....bleurgh!

However, TofB uses fresh fish and has the lightest of batter.  We got a barra pack to share ($11.50).  A moderate fillet of barra which was fresh, juicy and finger licking good.  Crispy batter and well drained of excess oil.  It was so good that I wanted to get another pack (but I didn't because, as nice as it was, it's still deep fried food).  I'm getting hungry just thinking of this barra!  The chips were thick cut and equally nice.  Perfectly fried - crispy on the outside and mealy on the inside.  It came with a nice wedge of lemon and tartare sauce.

Verdict
Food – 9
Ambiance - 7
Service – 7.5
Price - 7.5

Overall
Great fish and chips - I am definitely going back there next time I'm in the area!  As it's opposite the pier, you have a great view while snacking on the delicious fish.  Feeling very envious of the locals who live nearby.  You are paying for quality here - the fresh fish, the clean oil and the perfect batter means that it is a wee pricier than your average F&C shop.

Address
Top of the Bay
1 The Strand
Williamstown 
Telephone: 9397 7404

Top Of The Bay on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful piece of fish. Making me hungry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...