Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Bimbo Deluxe, Fitzroy by Snooze

Funky grungey interior (check) ... comfy sofas (check) ... mood lighting with corners to hide in (check).



I seriously love the decor at Bimbo ... I'm a total fan of all of the above.


But the best thing of all is the $4 pizzas for lunch (and dinner most nights)! And not the under topped, soggy base pizzas you might expect for $4 but generous and delicious toppings, thin crispy bases and even dessert pizzas. (If you think that’s a mouthful … you should have seen how much we ate. It was almost death by pizza!)


I’m going to start with my favourite pizza because it’s my review … but seriously whoever came up with the idea of prawns on pizza deserves the Nobel prize for the culinary arts. Topped with large, succulent, fresh prawns, parmesan, a smidge of chilli and a quarter of lemon on the side, this is a pizza I'm going to order again.


Another interesting pizza is the mashed roasted pumpkin, with soy cheese, rosemary oil and pine nuts. I like rosemary but it’s generally over used … which wasn’t the case here. The delicate aroma and taste of the rosemary complimented rather than overpowered the pumpkin.


The funghi (mushroom) and tomato pizza had the most generous topping of all … the mushroom was just wilted with a beautiful mushroom aroma and taste. Simple, classic pizza.


By now I was starting to get a little full but with the artichoke heart, mushroom, ham and olive pizza still waiting for me I bravely carried on. While good it's probably not destined to be a favourite (although I love artichoke) simply because I liked the others better. This pizza wasn't without its fans with Seefoo (a recent entry to our dining menage) thought this one a winner.


It’s hard to choose a favourite between the dessert pizzas. I’ve had the dark Belgian chocolate and mascarpone pizza before and it was nice remembering why I’d made ra space last time. Well, I did it again ... and ate half of the pizza this time. The chocolate is sweet and smooth, and just slid down. And while slightly gooey, the topping was just firm enough to be manageable and not drip down your hands when eating.


But it was a dessert tossup between the chocolate and the apple, almond, mascarpone and cinnamon pizza. This pizza is generously topped with large pieces of gently spiced apple just starting to soften. Darn that Big Fil … he got half this pizza! I suppose it's karma given I ate so much of the chocolate one!


Overall
Absolutely nothing to complain about at Bimbo Deluxe … the only thing I could imagine was watching a favourite movie or DVD on a wintry night while tucking into a chocolate pizza but that’s more about my need to get back on my medication than Bimbo.

Verdict
Ambience – 8
Service – 8
Food – 8.5
Price – 9

Address:
376 Brunswick St
Fitzroy VIC 3065
Ph: (03) 9419 8600

Bimbo Deluxe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Cherry the Chef said...

hey I was just wondering with you blog how you made your archives into headings? i keep trying to do it, but it will only list my different blogs under the dates they were written....sorry its a nerdy question.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...