Thursday, October 11, 2018

Mamasita, Melbourne by Rockstar

A friend was visiting from Sydney and I wanted to introduce her to a Melbourne classic. I remember when Mamasita arrived in 2010 - for me it was a revelation in Mexican flavours. I adored the balanced flavours - the tanginess, the richness, the happiness! I recall the queues down the stairs; the waiting and the utter busyness of the place. And that every time I ate there I’d want to go back again. I’ve been back a few times - every couple of years and it’s never disappointed me. 

Mamasita, Melbourne, corn chips and salsa
There was no queue when we arrived at 6:00pm but it filled up quickly. We started with the tortilla chips, avocado, salsa and retried beans. It sounds so pedestrian, so 1980s. This version is a delightful combination... I tried not to steal them all before the Sydneysider had had her fair share.

Mamasita, Melbourne, elote callejero
I adore corn. And Mamasita’s elote callejero is iconic! It’s compulsory to eat when visiting - and I love that they now also serve the corn in a bowl cut off the cob - less messy to eat in public! With cheese, lime and chipotle mayo it’s still a favourite.

Mamasita, Melbourne, fish taco
We each had a taco; I enjoyed the fried fish taco with mustard creme, squid ink and dragon fruit.

Mamasita, Melbourne, vegetarian taco
While the Sydneysider went the vegetarian option of squash, smoked eggplant, and salsa. We were both pretty happy with our choice!

Mamasita, Melbourne, lamb birria quesatida
The lamb birria quesatida was a delicious way to end the night as we walked down the stairs full and happy! I felt like it was another win for Melbourne!

Verdict

We really liked it
We really liked it.
Mid value
Mid value.

Overall

Mamasita never disappoints - it always delivers on a delicious meal that's full of flavour.

Also have a gander at Ruby's Grapefruit's review of Mamasita.

Find it at

Mamasita
Level 1
11 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: (03) 9650 3821

Mamasita Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...