Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Momoya, Camberwell by Obelix

I have found my new life purpose - to sample every menu item at Momoya.  To say I'm delighted by this new resident on Through Road is an understatement.  It's a tiny little Japanese eatery with a few small tables but it appears much of its trade comes from takeaway orders.

Momoya, Camberwell, Buddha bowl
Buddha bowl

Notwithstanding the quality food, the ordering is such convenience.  The takeaway menu runs off the Menulog platform.  I normally opt for pick up and receive an email and text of when the food will be ready.  They are punctual down to the minute.  I'm so impressed with the military precision of it all.  I schedule an order online in advance for pick up;  run around town dropping Kiddo off to various after school activities then pick up order as a I careen pass back home.  Hot food on the table as soon as we walk through the door.

Since discovering it, I have embarrassingly ordered from Momoya three times in the one week.  But then I reassured myself, I'm doing this for you guys, dear readers.  I need to research for the blog.  This is not motivated by gluttony but rather by intellectual exploration.  Ahem, ladies and gents, I present to you the following:

Momoya, Camberwell, soft shell crab baos
Soft shell crab baos.  P's choice.  Look you can't go wrong with this.  I have never had a bad soft shell crab bao.

Momoya, Camberwell, tempura meal
Mixed tempura meal.  One of my personal faves.  It has two sizeable tempura prawns and two sizeable whiting among tempura vegetables.  The meal packs come with little side veggie dishes.  This time around it was vermicelli salad and sauteed cabbage.

Momoya, Camberwell, tempura meal
Look at the size of the whiting fillet.  I snaffled this down happily.

Momoya, Camberwell, chicken katsu
Also on the recommended list are their Chicken Katsu and Chicken Nanban.  Not to be continually banging on about the size of things but their chicken katsu is one big mumma of a chicken thigh.  Lightly crumbed.  Effectively I passed it off as a schnitzel and served it to Kiddo as such.  This would be very popular with kids I would imagine.

Momoya, Camberwell, chicken nanban
The Chicken Nanban was a more delicate version of a Chinese style sweet and sour.  It does not have the claggy overly sweet lava of sauce like a typical sweet and sour. Rather it is a nuance of sweetness and tang with a light batter.  Absolutely appetite inducing.  It came with a little tub of house made tartare.  That is attention to detail you would not normally expect in a week night takeaway joint.

Momoya, Camberwell, stir fried pork belly meal
P had the stir fried pork belly meal once.  He remarked it was had a lovely smokey flavour similar to bacon.

Momoya, Camberwell, salmon meal
I was similarly impressed with their more healthier offerings (read, not involving the deep fryer).  My salmon fillet meal was very substantial. It came on a bed of roasted veggies as well as the side serves of veggies that come with all their meal packs.  Yum.

On another occasion I sampled their Buddha bowl with brown rice and felt all virtuous (see first pic).  This was lovingly prepared with so many different elements - edamame beans, avocado, red cabbage, seaweed, veggie chips, teriyaki tofu, corn, celery, carrots...

Momoya, Camberwell, Nagasaki udon
Kiddo who can't walk pass a bowl of noodle soup, tried their Nagasaki udon which is a seafood soup with noodles.

Verdict

We loved it
We loved it.
Mid value
Mid value.

Overall

I freaking love this place.  Quality food, decent sized serves, punctual service.

Find it at

Momoya
187 Through Road
Camberwell Vic 3124

Order via this link: https://www.menulog.com.au/restaurants-momoya/menu

Momoya Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...